Mr. Brooks

JUNE 2, 2007

GENRE: HERO KILLER, PSYCHOLOGICAL, SERIAL KILLER
SOURCE: THEATRICAL (REGULAR SCREENING)

As I watching this film, I was just about to say "Fuck, I really can't qualify this as a horror movie" when all of a sudden, BAM! A guy gets his head nearly cut off with a shovel. Then, 2 minutes later, SLASH! Scissors into the neck, blood spraying all over a girl's bedroom. Yeah!!!

Course, even without those elements I still would have recommended Mr. Brooks, as I am a lifelong member of the Kevin Costner fan club. Wooden as he may be at times ("My boat"), the guy is just awesome, and like Bruce Willis, he's the rare A-list actor who constantly jumps around genres. I don't think there's any genre he hasn't tackled. Tom Hanks occasionally tries (Road to Perdition) but for the most part he avoids westerns, sci-fi, horror, and sports movies. Ditto Tom Cruise, though in recent years he seems to be trying a little harder.

Also, I would like to point out that Demi Moore is hotter now than she was like 15 years ago when people said 'man she's hot'. Weird.

But the movie has a big caveat (besides about 2 serial killers too many): Dane Cook. Look, I don't revile the guy as much as some, I admit to laughing several times during his CD. But that's a CD. Watching him is torturous. The guy just looks (and acts) like a douche. All the time. Maybe it's not his fault, I dunno, but he just has that permanent douche stamp. And watching him try to act in a 'serious' role is asking a lot of an audience. Incidentally, he provides the film's second biggest laugh (the first is William Hurt delivering an insult about Cook's character that works on a surface and meta-level), when Costner and him decide to kill a driver who cut them off. "Yes! I always wanted to fucking kill a guy who pissed me off in traffic!"

Much like 3000 Miles to Graceland (the strangest 80 million dollar movie ever made), it's good to see Costner playing a bad guy. He does it so rarely that even though he's a sick fuck, you root for him out of habit. Good show!

Also whoever the hell plays his daughter is fucking cute as hell.

What say you?


1 comment:

  1. Hey, great review as usual. I just wathced this and I agree with you on all fronts. Great flick with pretty solid acting.

    And yeah, the daughter is hella cute.

    I think it would have ended better had he actually died, but hey not bad either way.

    Sleepyweasel

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google